Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is software that companies use to manage day-to-day business processes and enable the flow of data between them.
It collects a company’s shared transactional data from multiple sources and provides data integrity with a single source of truth. Odoo ERP is a popular platform and there are many Odoo alternatives that are just as good.
What is Odoo ERP?
Odoo ERP is a collection of open source business apps that provides seamless integration to cover all your business needs from eCommerce to customer relationship management (CRM), accounting, project management, point of sale, and more. The platform comes as a free Community version or the subscription-based Enterprise edition.
The open-source ERP model of Odoo allows a business to leverage thousands of developers and works best for small to mid-sized companies. Larger enterprises and startups may want to consider some of the following alternatives:
Netsuite is the world’s largest cloud ERP solution that provides an array of applications including ERP, Human Resources, financials, professional services, automation, and omnichannel commerce.
The platform is used by more than 24,000 customers in 200+ countries. Built-in flexibility enables a brand to scale up, spin-off, and adopt new business models. Netsuite includes a customer-facing commerce system with real-time analytics for a pixel-perfect experience.
- Extensive capabilities for financial management in a single cloud-based platform
- Optimizes activities on large-scale production with industry-specific needs
- Robust solutions for inventory management and logistics in a unified dashboard
- CRM tools to effectively handle relationships with customers and prospects
- Analytics and reporting that drives business intelligence for insights on sales volume, retention, etc.
The cost is more expensive than Odoo. Netsuite is best for mid-market and enterprise companies looking to scale their business and drive growth.
Sage Intacct is an all-in-one cloud-based financial management solution. The system is designed to improve performance and accelerate growth with operational insights and reporting that automate critical financial processes.
The application delivers an array of core accounting applications including AR, AP, and cash management.
Sage Intacct has an open API structure that provides easy integration with any CRM, POS, ERP system, or payroll. Pricing varies depending on the plan you choose.
- Built-in reporting with real-time big data to help make better financial decisions
- Visual navigation tools and drag-and-drop functionality adds to ease-of-use
- Time and expense management with global consolidation of multiple entities
- Different integrations for a variety of applications like Payroll and project management
- Cloud-based platform with no need for an IT resource to host and manage
Sage Intacct is endorsed by the AICPA and targets smaller to midsized companies. The “multi-dimensional” general ledger software and reporting features differentiate the solution from larger platforms.
Acumatica is a provider of accounting and cloud ERP services that delivers a complete set of modules for all your business needs. The solution comes equipped with a dashboard, reporting tools, centralized security, and an integrated document management system.
Leverage the powerful customization tools to tailor reports for existing practices and gain real-time insight into data, anywhere, at any time. The extended ERP functionality helps to manage fixed assets and deferred revenues to deliver top ROI on all your tech investments.
- Powerful financial applications that are complex enough for complex multinationals
- Deliver projects on time with Project Accounting feature that handles complex billing rules on project attributes
- Different editions based on industry, including Distribution, Manufacturing, Field Service, and Commerce
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) with real-time data on customer activities, quotes, and orders
- Keep track of costs by correctly accounting for WIP (work in progress)
Acumatica is a family of fully integrated business apps that work seamlessly together and is an ideal solution for mid-size businesses and non-profits.
Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics GP (formerly Great Plains) delivers an out-of-the-box, comprehensive business management functionality from finances to human resources and operations.
The system was designed to connect the many moving parts of an organization, allowing for better visibility, control, and supervision. It’s available on-premise, public/private cloud, and hybrid.
- Track and manage inventory, production, returns, vendors, and more
- Financial management and accounting with cash, assets, and banking features
- Real-time analytics and visibility to track performance and gain actionable insights
- Manage sales opportunities, contacts, service contracts, etc.
- Features for human resources and payroll assistance
Small and medium-sized businesses in a wide range of industries.
QuickBooks Desktop and Online
QuickBooks Desktop and Online both operate on a true double-entry accounting strategy and offer accrual or cash-basis accounting.
Each program offers a detailed chart of accounts, bank reconciliation, journal entries, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and all basic reporting needed to run a business. QuickBooks Desktop also has a special version specifically designed for CPAs with multiple clients.
- All types of tracking from income and expenses to mileage, invoices, project profitability, and accepting payments
- Capture receipts with a smartphone, run basic reports, and automate quarterly tax estimations
- Monitor cost of goods, product levels, and receive notifications when inventory is low
- Manage bills and track status, create recurring payments, and pay multiple suppliers at one time
- Maximize tax deductions and automatically sort business expenses into the right tax categories
QuickBooks targets most industries and works best for small to middle-market businesses with 25-30 users.
Epicor is an ERP system designed for flexible global business management. The software solution oversees business processes company-wide and helps to manage everything from accounting to human resources, customer relationships, inventory, and much more.
The system also offers additional modules for supply chain management, lifecycle management, and manufacturing. The platform is available on-premise or as a SaaS cloud-based ERP solution.
- Uses the industrial internet of things (IIoT) to connect with sensors and PLCs (programmable logic controllers)
- Embedded project management software that’s industry-specific
- Advanced omnichannel software for retailers that includes ecommerce
- DocStar Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and built-in CRM
- Manufacturing execution software (MES) that integrates with mobile apps
Epicor has solutions that generally accommodate a business of any size, from a single site to a multinational enterprise.
SYSPRO caters to the specialized needs of over 15,000 licensed companies in 60+ countries worldwide. The platform is a global leader in the production of world-class ERP software.
The system provides integrated business management software that includes everything from accounting to manufacturing, marketing automation, operations, distribution, and much more. All of this combined into a simple user interface.
- Choose a deployment that best suits your enterprise needs and budget on any device you want
- Streamline supply chain collaboration with greater operational efficiencies and quicker decision-making
- Increase productivity with a workforce that is engaged and empowered with minimum disruption
- Drive business behavior with critical insights for quicker analysis, management, and action
- Accelerate user uptake with an engaging system that’s easy to use
SYSPRO is more costly than Odoo but has a stronger level of support. The software works best for companies with 50-200 employees and 10-50 million in revenue.
Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision)
Microsoft Dynamics is an ERP product that’s part of the Microsoft family. It has recently been rebranded to Dynamics 365 Business Central with full flexibility to deploy in the cloud or on-premises.
It’s a comprehensive business and sales management solution that includes supply chains, invoicing, analytics, CRM, finance, social media management, and more. It possesses the same rich functionality as Microsoft NAV, just based on a smaller scale.
- Adopt new business models fast and efficiently with flexible deployment, security, and reliability
- Increase financial visibility and performance with accelerated close, forecasting, and real-time performance metrics
- Connect processes, people, and insights to make better decisions, with embedded guidance
- Straightforward dashboards and interoperability with all MS apps
- Boost sales and improve customer service by managing the entire end-to-end sales process
Microsoft 365 and the Teams app was developed for a wide range of industries including manufacturing and distribution. It works best for small to medium-sized companies and local subsidiaries of larger groups.
Choosing an alternative to Odoo isn’t the difficult part. It’s really about finding the system that works for your business. If you’re reading this article, chances are you already have an idea in mind of what works best.
Consider your top three to five basic needs for an ERP system and branch out from there. It may be that a platform is affordable, but the infrastructure is not built for the type of industry you operate in. This is where research never hurts. The more time you put into comparing systems, the happier you will be with your final purchase.